candidate for VICE PRESIDENT EXTERNAL
Hello fellow students, my name is Karen Velasco and I choose to be a candidate for VP External. I am taking Business Administration focusing on Marketing. My heart has always been passionate about achieving students’ welfare, I love volunteering and being involved in the community, I believe in the importance of giving back to the people who help me in my everyday life. My platform focuses on:
1. Build good relations with our external stakeholders in order to seek support whenever needed. I am part of the Campus Ambassador program which gives me the privilege of being a representative of NAIT to prospective students, I have supported Open House and Program Previews and has extensive experience in interacting and promoting NAIT’s interests to the surrounding community.
2. Strive to request adequate mental health funding for student led initiatives. I work as an Outreach Well-being Leader in NAIT, we run collaborative initiatives to help improve students’ skills, and work on projects to advance our well-being because I know the importance of students’ well-being in their personal successes.
3. Lobbying the government for fair tuition for both domestic and international students. As the provincial election coming near, I will lobby the government to prioritize budget allocation to post-secondary schools and still achieve quality education.
4. Look into the service the ETS provides for students. As a student, I share the struggle of everyday commuting, I will appeal for a more frequent schedule of trains and buses services.
5. Smooth transition and turnover from the current VP External. I will give my best to continue the advocacies of the current VP External and help in the improvement of the project.
These are just a few of my platforms, my goal is to work vigorously in bridging and connecting students with the government, so they can be informed of what is happening outside the academe, and at the same time, external organizations, and the community in general will understand the needs of the students. After all, we are the nation’s future. Together, let us gear towards our success and vote yes.